Wednesday, October 7, 2009

We lost Steve at 1:50 a.m. October 7, 2009

I visited with Steve yesterday afternoon. He was awake and still hoping to get chemo today. We had a good visit and he said our family prayer before I left. He definitely expected to live a while longer.

The hospice nurse called shortly after midnight and told me that Steve was deteriorating and he expected him to pass within 24 hours. The nurse told me to try to get some sleep, but knowing that would not happen, I sent emails to family and left for the facility. As I entered Arbor Home, the nurse had the phone in his hand and was calling me. Steve was worse. I got to spend about 40 minutes with him before he passed. He did not struggle. His breathing was rougher with pauses. He gradually took fewer breathes until he quit breathing, I called the nurse and the nurse confirmed that he was gone.

Steve was one of the finest men I ever knew. I feel privileged to have had him by my side for so many years and look forward to being reunited with him again. I have cried privately this past year and know I will continue to have waves of emotions for a long time to come. He is truly in a better place.

Funeral arrangements are pending - probably Monday or Tuesday.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sad to hear about Steve. I know what a gentle spirit he has always been and how much he will be missed. I'm sure there was a happy reunion on the other side of the veil this morning. May the Lord bless you and your family during this difficult time.
    Love, Kathy Adair

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so sorry to hear the news about Steve. You guys were the best neighbors anyone could ever ask for and we have missed not seeing you. Mary, you and the famiy are in our prayers and know we are just a phone call away.
    Love you and your family,
    Liz & Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I'm so sorry to hear of Steve's passing. He was great man and I'm sure he will be missed by all. You and your family are in our prayers. Our loss was Heaven's gain (I'm sure Uncle Jack and Aunt Ada are having a joyful reunion with him).
    Love, Cheryl Steele Weathersby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary,
    I am sorry to hear of this great loss. Steve was such a good person. I always admired your relationship and the way he would talk of you. Whenever I paint for someone that knows Steve, They ALWAYS, without fail, comment on his kindness. What a great man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Mary,
    You are in our thoughts and prayers. I loved Uncle Steve. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The strength of testimony you exibited Sunday when we visited was very inspiring to both of us. But even knowing there will be a great reunion does little to fill the great void that now exists in your life. Stay strong and you will find solice in knowing what is to come. In the meantime, we are here for you.

    Nancy and Ken...

    ReplyDelete